Rural – Jersey Country Life Magazine


HORSE racing enthusiasts have donated £15,000 in just one week in response to a fundraising campaign launched by the Jersey Race Club to save the future of local racing.

The Island’s lockdown restrictions, imposed in March to prevent the spread of COVID-19, forced the 188-year-old club to delay the start of the 2020 season. It then cancelled all fixtures dashing hopes that a £100,000 shortfall could be recouped at later race meetings.

JRC Secretary Andy Cadoret, who is one of two paid full-time staff being supported by the Government’s co-funded payroll scheme, said the situation was ‘serious’.

‘We have no income. Usually, 80 per cent of our income is from race days and the other 20 per cent is from subscriptions,’ he explained.

‘A lot of people think that, if we are not racing, it doesn’t cost us anything but we still have to maintain the racecourse and keep it in good condition,’ he added.

At the beginning of last week he contacted the club’s 375-strong membership asking them to pay their 2021 subscriptions two months early.

And, a few days later, a JustGiving page was launched which has already raised over £3,000.

Andy is keen to keep the momentum going because, if the JRC fails to meet its target, racing in Jersey will cease.

This would affect many people including local trainers, owners, catering concessions, marquee providers, bookmakers and businesses that support the club.

‘We are being supported by our membership,’ said Andy, ‘and we’ve got the options of boosting posts on social media which are being retweeted by trainers in the UK.’

In addition, a patron’s fund for larger donations has been launched. For more information, Andy can be contacted on 863484. – Ruth Le Cocq

See their ‘JustGiving’ page:

Pictures by ‘Jerseyevents’



Latest News

Rural Post Sign Up

Join our mailing list and stay up to date with the latest news.

* indicates required

Crosby Media and Publishing Ltd will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing. Please let us know all the ways you would like to hear from us:

You can change your mind at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link in the footer of any email you receive from us, or by contacting us at We will treat your information with respect. For more information about our privacy practices please visit our website. By clicking below, you agree that we may process your information in accordance with these terms.

We use Mailchimp as our marketing platform. By clicking below to subscribe, you acknowledge that your information will be transferred to Mailchimp for processing. Learn more about Mailchimp's privacy practices here.

Related Posts